Wednesday, April 26, 2006

On Ebb and Flow: A Call to Joint Prayers Declined

Anonmelancholic -- "My photo"

The Baha'i Writings offer the view that there are two processes in the world, a process of disintegration and a process of integration--of things falling apart and something new arising out of the ashes. It is easy to find many negative and pessimistic posts out there in the blogging world written by those who are in the business of tearing down out-moded anachronisms of the past (how's that for a redundant phrase!). As part of his spiritual search, Mel-Anon apparently turned away from conservative Christianity in favor of "progressive religion" some time ago. He tells a story of an incident that happened before his separation from the former in "Some Trust in Chariots" that is worth retelling, despite the melancholic tone, given its mention of the Faith. His commentary is perhaps typical of many who become part of the "community of interest" in the Faith, participating in the core activities.

Many people have argued...that conservative Christians have a Manichean view of the world; Manichean having been taken from an ancient dualistic religion that views the world as a struggle between absolute Good and Evil. This is not the case. It is dualistic, but it's Our Side against Their Side. People who do good things in the guise of another faith are doing so only out of some mystical devilish plot which will surely be revealed in time. They grumble that the Dalai Lama might come and hoodwink people into living a Satanic life of peace and kindness. (Good Lord, let it be so.)

This reminds me of a story, one of many that should have sent up red flags about my future as a conservative evangelical. Shortly after 9/11, the campus chapter of the Baha'i faith wanted to have a joint prayer session with the ministry organization I was clinging to at the time. They were rebuffed, because we wouldn't want to give the impression that we were giving tacit approval to their wayward prayers. So it was that, in the shadow of the moment where healing and unity should have won the day if they ever were, we could only think to antagonize. This more than anything, I believe, started me down the road of finding the whole charade an untenable mess.

Mel-Anon, "Some Trust in Chariots," TypePad

2 comments:

child_of_africa said...

Another fascinating find--the mel-anon blog!

you were asking me about my dissertation in my communications with you under my secret identity :)

my blogger blog has been a place to file all my ideas as i was working on my first chapter.

The dissertation looks at the goals, processes, outcomes and implications of curriculum reform for basic education in China.

in spite of all the "suffering and hardship" in producing it, it has also been an incredible amount of fun!

the title of my dissertation is "Institutionalizing Educational Ideologies: Curriculum reform and the transformation of teaching practices in rural China."

thanks for asking :)

Annie said...

Mel-Anon does have a very melancholy view of Christianity. I would like to comment that not all Christians think the way he has stated in the first paragraph. I see many good things that come out of other religions and faiths. And even though I may not agree with a certain belief system I know that a lot of them want to help out their fellow humans. God uses all things for good! :)

PS. It was so much fun running into you on Sunday George! We need to plan some family get togethers! I wrote to Bonita about taking a camping trip this summer. I think that would be soooooo much fun! :)