Saturday, April 08, 2006

On Baha'i Songs and Bloggers: Singing at Feast

The enthusiasm of lunaesia's three consecutive Live Journal postings on singing at an Albuquerque area Baha'i Feast makes me want to burst out singing as well.
lunaesia's LJ pic
In about two hours, we will get up onstage, sing out any remaining sanity, and have a great time.

And in, oh, two hours and 10 minutes I will be singing. A SOLO.

I don't think I've ever had a solo in my life. At least, not vocal. Cello solos were slightly less terrifying (probably because I played for 9 years, and to this day I have no formal voice training). And I still need to make sure I remember the WORDS.

lunaesia, "In about 2 hours, my choir will be performing at the Feast of Glory," Live Journal

We sang. My solo didn't suck too terribly. It wasn't very good, though.

I get a second chance tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this last fact should excite me or cause me to crawl under a cactus somewhere.

I'm full of thoughts and thoughts and thoughts.

On singing. On religion. On yesness. A lot of things.

lunaesia, "A Post-Feast update, " Live Journal

We sang this one tonight, and we'll sing it again tommorow. I really think it's my favorite. Others are more enjoyable to sing (like the What a Mighty God/The Spirit of the Lord/We Have Come to Sing Praises/Send Your Spirit Down medley, which is honestly the most jump-around FUN I've had since preschool), and others make me smile more (the fact that Eric rewrote the lyrics to a Chaka Kahn song gives me giggles at the oddest moments), but this one is still my favorite. It's a more comforting song. It calms me, rather than exciting. And it makes me think of spring. I wish it would rain.

Photo: Ottawa Baha'is singing
But anyway, I'm going to write out the chorus parts. There are verses in the middle, but I don't remember them. This song is based off a part of the Prayer for the Southern States, written by `Abdu'l-Baha in 1917 for the Baha'is in the American South.

Holy Spirit, rain down on me
I want to feel Your Presence surround me
Shower upon me Thy confirmation
Through the spirit of faith bring regeneration

You change a gnat into an eagle
A drop of water into rivers and seas
An atom into lights and suns
Holy Spirit, keep renewing me

Holy holy holy holy Spirit

lunaesia, "I really love this song," Live Journal

No comments: