Friday, March 17, 2006

On Naw-Ruz: A Day to Start Anew for Baha'is

Image: The Google logo with the traditional Persian Norouz accompaniment

In case you haven't been counting down the days remaining in the fast, Naw-Ruz is coming. If you google Naw-Ruz, you may find your way to the Wikipedia entry on the subject. It is very complete and worth reading in its entirety. Here's an excerpt.

Norouz (also spelled Noe-Rooz, Norouz, Norooz, Noruz, Novruz, Noh Ruz, Nauroz, Nav-roze, Navroz, Náw-Rúz or Nowrouz and in Persian نوروز) is the traditional Persian (Iranian) festival of (the first day of) spring and the beginning of the Iranian Year . It is celebrated by some communities on March 21st, and by others on the day of the astronomical vernal equinox, which may occur on March 20th, 21st or 22nd.

Norouz has been celebrated for at least 3,000 years and is deeply rooted in the rituals and traditions of the Zoroastrian religion. Today, the festival of Norouz is celebrated in many countries that were territories of, or influenced by, the Persian Empire: Persia (Iran), Kurdistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, parts of the middle-east, as well as in the former soviet republics of Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan,Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. It is also celebrated by the Zoroastrian Parsis and Iranis in India, and is a public holiday in Turkey, where it is called Bayram in Turkish and Newroz in Kurdish....

The
Bahá'í Faith, a religion with its origin in Iran, celebrates this day (spelling it "Naw Rúz") as a religious holiday marking not only the new year according to the Bahá'í calendar, but the end of their Nineteen Day Fast. Persian Bahá'ís still observe many Iranian customs associated with it, but Bahá'ís all over the world celebrate it as a festive day, according to local custom. American Bahá'í communities, for example, may have a potluck dinner, along with prayers and readings from Bahá'í scripture. While Naw Rúz, according to scripture, begins on the vernal equinox, Bahá'ís currently celebrate it on March 21, regardless of what day the equinox falls. Bahá'ís are required to suspend work and school in observance.

Wikipedia, "Norouz "

I did an "advanced" Google blog search for Naw-Ruz references from last year and really got into the holiday spirit reading a variety of blog entries. Here is a particularly poigant passage from one whose author I will treat as "anonomous".

Yesterday was Naw Ruz... or the Baha'i/Persian new year. Its hands down my favorite holiday. This was the first year I didn't go back to xxxxx xxxxxx for it, which was really weird. Instead, I went up to the House of Worship for a few hours which was wonderful. Around 2:30ish, I realized that the fast was over and I could actually eat lunch. It takes me a bit to remember that after the Fast is over. I also had a moment of serious "grown up-ness". I went to the doctor in the morning because I haven't felt well in awhile. After finding my own doctor, I went, filled my perscription, and sent stuff to my insurance company. It was so surreal. Not only do I no longer have a "home" to go to on holidays, I have now independently conquered the medical industry. I have always, willingly, left this up to my Mom seeing as she knows a lot more about than I do. It was kinda weird sitting in a doctor's office I don't know anything about. I guess that's what Naw Ruz is about though... starting anew.

1 comment:

Victor said...

I really enjoy your blog, and thanks for you kind comments...very encouraging!