Sunday, February 26, 2006

Encountering Baha'i: A Blogger's Story

Before Ruhi class this afternoon, before the hike in Point Defiance Park after lunch, and before the Ayyam-i-Ha party at Baha'i school this morning, I started my Sunday by checking out other blogs using a new blog search engine I'd never tried before. My discovery of the morning was a sensitive reflection on religious diversity. A word to Kelley, the blogger: it is not the Baha'i way to "pity" others for their beliefs, as Baha'is honor the idea that each person has the right to decide what is true for them.

Something has been bothering me lately about theology. I've been reading blogs and reading books, and reading the Bible. The nagging thing about most Christian theology is that most everyone seems to believe that their brand of theology is the only truly correct one, and everyone else who doesn't experience God in exactly the same manner is judged accordingly - either with disdain or pity. While it may be all right to debate our doctrinal differences amongst ourselves, it becomes a problem when the heat of the debate (or even our strong agreement with one another on theological/doctrinal issues) overshadows our testimony of Christ, individually or collectively.

For example, I went to playgroup in my new neighborhood a couple weeks ago, and one of the moms mentioned in passing that she "used to be Catholic." When I asked her what she meant by "used to be," she said that she was raised Catholic in Chile, but she wasn't a Catholic anymore. So, she proceeded to explain her journey to her newfound faith. Apparently, she's very open-minded and she researched everything that was available -- Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, etc. Her husband is agnostic, but it seems that she is certain there IS a God and that she should find some way to follow Him. Her problem with all of the world religions was that they were so exclusive. Attitudes that screamed, "We're right, you're wrong, this is the only way to God," and clergy who expect you to give money and change your life to fit a certain demographic were not appealing to her. So, she found a religion (Baha'i faith) with no clergy and a theology that incorporates ALL religions as "chapters of the same book." The way I see it, she just wanted a religion based on love and acceptance. And, Christianity didn't pass the test (ouch!). As I get to know her better, I hope to show her Christ's love and acceptance. Maybe someday I'll earn the right to tell her what Christ has done in my life, and what He's done for her too. But for now, she probably pities me, because she thinks I only have part of God's revelation to mankind (Jesus), and not the latest information (Baha'u'llah). It's the same way I look at people with dial-up internet connections.

Kelley, "Theological Encounters"

No comments: