Friday, March 31, 2006

On Encountering Baha'is: Brief Blog Mentions

It is so interesting to me to note the many different ways the Baha'i Faith comes up in people's lives. One need only to jump into the personal/public world of blogs, blog search "Baha'i," and read away to gain a sense of how the Faith is introduced and how people respond in all its diversity. It's happening, folks, it's really happening. What Baha'u'llah said would happen, is happening.

I used multiple blog search engines to gather this collection of one-liners, mentions of the Baha'i Faith that occured over the last five months or so. To the best of my knowledge these bloggers are not Baha'is, or at least were not at the time they posted.

OK. You know the exercise. For the blog-source of the one-liner, click on it. Not that hard, really.

The customs guy laughed when we told him we'd visited Canada for a Jewish holiday (the new year), said he was Baha'i and had no idea about our holidays! Any laughing customs guy is a good sign, I figure.

Tonight we are going to a fireside at the Baha'i workshop. I'm intrigued.


The Baha'i Faith - Intelligent monotheism in a world that desperately needs it....Although I question their contention that they're the "second most widespread religion on earth", it should be, anyway.


Today we went to a ceremony honoring the (observed) birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. I was a little surprised to see so much Baha'i presence.

The great bulk of Baha'i teachings is concerned with social ethics; the faith has no priesthood and does not observe ritual forms in its worship....

My husband has been a Baha'i for several years, and although I looked into the Faith at first, it wasn't until recently that I began to feel a connection to it....I'm thinking about becoming a Baha'i....

Decided to check out what the other religions do on a Sunday, so tagged along with Karen to see what she does on Sundays with members of the Baha'i faith in this small town....

I am a Religious Humanist, with pantheistic beliefs, and shamanistic methods, who believes the religions who comes closest to getting it right are the Baha'i Faith and the Unitarian Universalists....

have to write a world religions research paper on Baha'i. It shouldnt be so bad....

I went home and eventually met up with Nani and went to a fireside, a Baha'i event....There was singing, and Warren (Nani's dad) talked about how he became Baha'i and about why the Baha'i's are so positive about the future. Zack mostly enjoyed himself too....I'm still not sure if I want to be Baha'i or not, but I'm thinking about it....

When I lived in a dorm, I used to have a card stuck to the wall that the Baha'i student group gave me.... [the card]

He was deeply religious and never faltered from the beliefs of the Baha'i Faith....

Which brings me to my curiousity about the Baha'i faith....My friend Lacey who knits and knew Anne first is a Baha'i. I am fascinated by other religions so I am looking into it....

Case in point, a friend of a work colleague is saying that Christianity was originally like the Baha'i faith....

Baha'i House of Worship, Wilmette, Illinois. We had never heard of the Baha'i before - it is an interesting faith.


Rainn Wilson, Dwight on "The Office", is married to a lady named Holiday. AWESOME. Also, he's a member of the Baha'i faith. Baha'i is my favorite of all the religions I don't belong to! (Really.)

We went up to Evanston this morning to see the Baha'i Temple. It is a pretty amazing structure....I had never heard of the religion of Baha'i (not sure I am spelling it correctly, either)...

Thanks to Zu who was down for the long haul, and for hooking me up with the Baha'i' proverb - beautiful stuff. Good looking out girl.



I gotta read about baha'i because I missed 2 days of comparative religion -.-

There's this religion called the Baha'i World Faith, a type of breakaway Islamic faith. I've been studying it for awhile but have yet to make any firm decisions.

we went to the beach this weekend to walk around... the water is beautiful. at night i went to the Bahai Temple to see its beauty close up... its amazing. i was told that the Bahai religion's belief is that all religions lead to the same God and is a branch of Islam, but i do not know much about it, but it was beautiful and huge.

Photo: eszter

... who knows what will happen when i get involved in Baha'i things, but whatever the end result, i know that i love you so much....


The cause of World Federalism does not rise and fall on the EU's petty national interests. I think I may study Baha'i. One God. One Religion. One People. Three interlocking unities....


I visited the Bosch Bahai School up in the Santa Cruz mountains. It was nice to get away for UCSC for a while, and at the school I enjoyed the scenery and had some great discussions about religion.

The meeting was informative too… Baha'i is a fascinating religion! I really need to learn more about them. i've seen their shrine in Haifa (the heads of the Baha'i club were jealous of me for that), and it's absurdly beautiful, especially at night.


She is fasting as a Baha'i. I am fasting both in support of her and for my own continually meandering spiritual path....


I have a conversation with some really chill baha'i folks....

... baha'i seeks to create a universal anxiliary language, it is a relatively new religion, i totally agree that humanity needs a new religion that fits our time better

I respect the Baha'i Faith immensely....Really, nearly every Baha'i I know represents everything that good Christians should represent, but rarely do....

i am not a fan of fasting, it seems contradictory to me. but i'm writing an ethnographic paper on baha'i, so i figured i may as well try it. maybe it'll uncover some deep-rooted psychological issue or reveal an abundance of religious truth to me.

Baha'i is becoming a fashionable religion among certain of Beijing's business and cultural elite, including some of the best-known real estate developers

She worked with Diana's Angels making clothes for babies who died. She was a member of the Baha'i faith.

Last night I went to a Naw-Ruz (Baha'i New Year) celebration in western Sydney with my Baha'i club friends. It was a bonkalicious good time culminating in an effervescent clown man and young aussie boy dressing up like chickens and b'cawing across a weirdly lit blue stage, shaking their feathered butts in unison all the while being accompanied by the eerie score of an aging keyboardist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a particularly interesting post George.

I am glad you have the time to do this as I think I get sidetracked enough with search on the cyberwaves.... thanks

Anonymous said...

Dear George,

Very interesting to see how so many different people come into touch with the Faith.

Bonita said...

What I really love about your posts, George, is the celebration of diverse people recognizing their similar beliefs, opting for connection and community. In these tough times of contention, the delightful embrace of a world community grounded in oneness is such a blessing.